Long COVID is the term used for those who have had COVID-19 and continue to experience symptoms of the virus more than 3 months post recovery.
- Do you feel fatigued if you push yourself? Do you experience symptoms such as breathlessness, brain fog, chest pain, feeling faint when changing position (orthostatic intolerance), and fluctuation in heart rate? If so, we can help!
- Did you know that often people can have similar and mild variations of Long COVID after vaccination and we also help these patients too?
- Did you also know that it is exceptionally common to hyperventilate or develop dysfunctional breathing with Long COVID and this does not help your recovery?
The affects and symptoms of COVID-19 on individuals can vary in many ways, hence, everyone has different needs when it comes to treatment for recovering from Long COVID. An individualised program is essential.
There is a long list of symptoms experienced by people with Long COVID, they vary between individuals but can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Very high levels of persistent fatigue
- Chest pain
- Brain fog
- Anxiety & depression
- Heart rate fluctuations
- Inability to tolerate exercise
- Gut issues
- Persistent cough
How Breathing Works Can Help
The COVID-19 virus affects the lungs and respiratory system. Physiotherapy has a significant role to play in the rehabilitation of Long COVID. At Breathing Works, we specialise in the management of Disordered Breathing and believe that breathing well is the foundation of health and movement.
We are considered world leaders in the rehabilitation of dysfunctional breathing, and we were part of an international group of expert physios who delivered a guided rehabilitation education course for health professionals in the management Long COVID symptoms. We are constantly evolving our approach as new research comes into publications. Knowing that all our staff are up to date with the latest research gives you confidence that you are getting the very best rehabilitation and care you can get for Long COVID.
You can read more about our courses for all health professionals at our sister company BradCliff’s website (https://www.bradcliff.com/courses-online-classroom/long-covid-course).
A Long COVID recovery program consists of treatment sessions that are focused on helping patients feel more in control of and understand their symptoms, as well as assisting with relief and recovery.
We deliver tailored assessments and treatments, including:
- A thorough initial history and objective assessment
- Screening for Post Exertional Malaise (PEM) / Post Exertional Symptom Excerbation (PESE).
- Activity pacing
- Symptom control focused physical activity
- Breathing retraining for dysfunctional breathing and hyperventilation
- Heart rate monitoring to manage load and control symptom flare ups
- Relaxation strategies to optimise sleep and enhance your recovery
- Autonomic conditioning and graded return to activity as appropriate
- Long term management of persistent symptoms
Our passionate and experienced team of physiotherapists are here to help.
If you believe you are experiencing the effects of Long COVID, get in touch with us on 09 522 1122 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.